Peris is an advocate with a passion for affecting social change. A certified professional mediator and trainer for financial inclusion.
Prior to joining KRK Advocates, Peris was in consulting, working with individuals and institutions on a diverse range of legal matters.
Peris practices in the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution team with experience in providing dispute resolution advice to a broad range of clients from individuals and small businesses to large corporations. She has represented clients in courts, tribunals and in mediation with a keen interest in Criminal Law, Human Rights, Environment Protection, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Debt Recovery and Banking matters. She also provides free legal services to communities, where their fundamental constitutional rights are been infringed or are threatened.
Some of her notable matters include:
- Assisting the residents of her hometown stop pollution by factories in enforcement of their rights to a clean and healthy environment.
- Representing an insurance company reaching amicable settlement of matters out of Court with reasonable settlement amounts.
- Representing a contractor in arbitration to successfully recover the sum of Kshs. 44,669,458.00 from his employer.
- Successfully defended clients in criminal matters.
Outside work, Peris enjoys farming, dancing, travelling and learning new languages and cultures.
Emmanuel is a budding advocate practicing in the firm’s dispute resolution department. He has a keen interest in Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution. He is an Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, with a hunger to learn and grow in the legal practice. Emmanuel shows great promise as young litigant being quick on his feet to think an exhibiting confidence and charisma whenever he is addressing court.
Along his career, Emmanuel has gathered experience by being involved in providing commercial dispute resolution advice to a broad range of clients from individuals and small businesses to large corporations. He is also a keen researcher who is well versed in court procedure and has represented clients in courts and tribunals with a keen interest in commercial, employment, land, insolvency, insurance and banking matters. In addition, He is well versed in Sports and Entertainment Law along with sports governance. He is a former LawInSport mentee and member of African
Sports Network. He is also experienced in Mechanisms i.e. Mediation and Arbitration.
Outside work, Emmanuel has a passion for international relations and diplomacy and trains and mentors students in Model United Nations through his role as Secretary General of the Sub Saharan International Model United Nations (SAIMUN). Emmanuel has a love for animals and spends most of his free time with his pet dog. On the weekends Emmanuel can be found enjoying a good game of 7-aside football with friends.
Complete with self-confidence, keen eye for detail and superior organizational skills and a knack for developing a narrative that applies the facts and the law in a manner beneficial to his clients, Dennis provides ready, swift, and honest solutions to wide-ranging complex legal matters. He takes pride for championing the interest of his clients. His longstanding trusted relationship with clients has grown on the back of getting under the skin of their businesses and understanding what makes them tick.
As a key member of the Dispute Resolution Practice, Dennis provides legal and strategic advice to the Firm’s clients and represents them in the High Court, Court of Appeal and in diverse tribunals across the Kenyan jurisdiction.
His clients describe him as approachable yet crisp and precise in his communication. He particularly enjoys finding practical solutions to difficult problems and ensuring that things are looked at from every angle: if there is something that will give you an advantage (as a client), you can count on him to find it.
He advises on all types of commercial disputes by devising time and cost-effective ways to resolve disputes. He understands commercial realities and develops holistic legal strategies that ensure success to his clients. By applying his deep knowledge together with his insight gained from his substantive experience as a litigator and mediator, Dennis has become a trusted advisor among the firm’s clients resulting in better and more effective client outcomes.
His notable matters are:
- Successfully defending a real estate property company in arbitration proceedings involving a structural construction dispute for a claim worth over Kshs. 500,000,000.
- Representing a South African multinational in a commercial dispute for recovery of Kshs. 320,000,000 advanced to a Kenyan firm in Capital injection after a default in repayment.
- Represented financial institutions in administration proceedings against multiple secured creditors for claims worth between Kshs. 60,000,000. and Kshs. 230,000,000
- Defended an EPZ company against winding up in a claim for Kshs. 120,000,000 by a creditor and successfully dismissed the winding up petition.
- Represented a Petitioner in a high-profile suit seeking to recover public land in Ruai and Karen meant for public utilities that was irregularly allocated to private entities.
- Successfully represented a client in a claim against him for auction of a property worth Kshs. 200,000,000 by a financial institution.
- Participated in the legal audit and policy formulation proposals for an International NGO regarding the Agriculture & Food Authority Act and the Crops Act
- Represented a client in negotiations and consultations towards securing a hotel in Shanzu from possible attachment by a Financier who was seeking to recover Kshs. 900,000,000 advanced to the client. that included recommending an investor to the client.
- Represented a reputable Sacco in over 200 claims against the Sacco over a period of 3 years and safeguarded the Sacco’s interest.
- Represented the IEBC in various election petitions filed against the commission in the 2017 general elections.
- As a member of the Legal Audit Taskforce, he participated in auditing and offering recommendations on all the Legal matters for and against the Nairobi city county.
Outside work, Dennis enjoys taking part in out-door activities jogging, hiking, playing hockey, watching sports and spending time with, and taking care of his family.
Faith is recognized for her calm, collaborative and systematic approach to client matters and acknowledged for providing innovative and practical solutions to her clients aimed at minimizing costs and optimizing results. She has a sharp business sense and for her clients, she masters their businesses and the environment in which they operate in and uses this information to partner with them and provide strategic support.
Possessing a can-do spirit, Faith approaches each case expediently with an aim of getting a fair and just result. She also has a keen eye for detail and can break down matters to their basics which holds her in good stead while convincing the judges on the intricacies and legal technicalities in her matters.
She is enthusiastic and dedicated about keeping up to date with the ever-changing legal landscape to ensure that the legal solutions provided to clients are timely, relevant and personalized to suit every client’s unique needs to reach realistic outcomes while at the same time protecting clients’ operations and interests. This has enabled her cultivate great working relationships with her clients.
Faith practices in the firm’s litigation and dispute resolution team with experience in providing commercial dispute resolution advice to a broad range of clients from individuals and small businesses to large corporations. She is also a keen researcher who is well versed in court procedure and has represented clients in courts and tribunals with a keen interest in employment, land, environment protection, insurance and banking matters. In addition, she is experienced in Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms i.e. Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration
Some of her notable matters include:
- An employment and labour relations matter where judgement was entered in favour of the employer for only Kshs. 32,000 instead of Kshs. 14,000,000 claim from the employee.
- Representing a financial institution in debt recovery from various loan defaulters to the tune of Kshs. 78,000,000 in total.
- Representing an investment bank in a court sanctioned mediation and successfully assisted her client absolve itself from allegations of a fraudulent transaction of USD 400,000.
- Representing clients at the Business Premises Rent Tribunal. Her clients were landlords who wanted the recovery of rent arrears from tenants to the tune od Kshs. 7,000,000. She successfully applied for levy distress against the tenants and obtained eviction orders.
- Successfully defended a nominated member of the county assembly in an election suit.
Outside work, Faith enjoys gardening and watching movies .
Gideon is a strategic thinker and clear communicator who enjoys building relationships with his clients and getting to know their business. He is a strong advocate and is skilled at providing bespoke legal solutions to his clients’ problems. He has a diverse experience practicing in all areas of corporate and commercial law, including corporate finance and property law. He advises clients ranging from high net worth individuals to financial institutions, investment banks, multinationals and private equity funds on business transactions & advisory, mergers and acquisitions (including due diligence), IPO’s & other security offerings, private equity and venture capital investments/exits, joint ventures, strategic collaborations and corporate structuring &reorganisation. He is also involved in the drafting and negotiation of the related legal documentation.
He is highly regarded for the pragmatic advice to clients and, in particular, he advises on licencing requirements for entry firms and regulatory requirements for established firms in the telecommunications and technology industry. He supports his clients in contractual & online commerce issues, guides them in privacy user rights and data protection and works relentlessly to protect their investments by advising them on the protection of their Intellectual Property.
His holistic approach has successfully guided many clients through boardroom and partnership issues and complex commercial disputes earning him a reputation for “making things happen”. His clients recognize his responsiveness, on-point advice and commercial mind-set.
Some of the matters Gideon has handled include:
- Acting as counsel in connection with the acquisition of a four star luxury beach resort and spa in the coastal region of Kenya by a chain of Hotels and Resorts (which range from luxury to economy)
- Acting as legal counsel in the sale of the operating business of a steel fabricating company in Kenya through a structured share purchase of the company’s shares
- Acting as legal counsel in connection with the sale and purchase of the business and assets of a local chain of supermarkets with branches in various counties
- Acting as counsel and providing legal advice to a financial institution with regard to the acquisition of the business and assets of one of its debtors by an international conglomerate.
- Conducting due diligence and audit of the loan books (financial facilities advanced vis-à-vis the collateral/securities in place) of a local bank (Tier 3) in relation to a proposed acquisition of the business and assets of the said bank by another local bank (Tier 1).
- Acting for a Group Company in a corporate restructuring exercise that involved transfer of assets to the Group’s subsidiaries to rebase values of said assets for purposes of regulatory compliance as well as debt restructuring with its main Financiers.
- Acting for various Financial Institutions in advising, preparing, reviewing and perfection of various Transactional & Banking Securities and advising them on related legal and regulatory issues.
- Carrying out due diligence and legal/forensic and compliance audits of various corporate institutions as well as asset/loan books of financial institutions.
- Advising Clients (residential and commercial developers and lenders) on Real Estate Laws and Property Development on all aspects of real estate development with particular emphasis on the acquisition or sale of properties, due diligence and negotiating the requisite contracts; land use, planning, zoning and user restrictions, environmental law, due diligence and compliance matters involving properties throughout Kenya
Away from the office, Gideon is a sports enthusiast who enjoys the great outdoors and the company of a good book.
Joyce is a practical and insightful advocate who navigates the firm’s clients through commercial law matters. She strives to be a trusted legal advisor to her clients and by utilizing her technical & research skills to guide clients through the different avenues available to help them reach their optimal business outcomes.
Joyce has extensive experience in all types of residential and commercial property transactions. She acts and advices a broad range of property investors and developers on all aspects of property management including property sale or purchase, due diligence exercises on the same, acquisitions, leasing (landlord & tenant law), sub-divisions, commercial developments and property finance.
She is also passionate about business formations, corporate restructuring, business licensing and the full range of Intellectual Property rights (patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, etc.). She advices her clients on which class of rights a specific product should be classified under so as to get the most effective and proper protection and how best to maximize their gains on the same. In addition, she is also well versed in immigration law as well as probate & succession law.
Joyce prides herself on developing strong and enjoyable relationships with her clients and providing them with timely and cost effective advice. Clients love her remarkable organization skills and thoroughness. Some of her notable matters include:
- Acting for various local companies in respect of restructuring their shareholding and management structure
- Acted for a foreign client in the registration of a Grant of Probate issued by The Supreme Court of British Columbia in the High Court of Kenya and subsequently vesting the suit property to the foreign client and drafting a short term Lease as well as negotiating the terms thereof with a tenant and his Advocates
- Acted for a local company in the purchase of a property worth Kshs.125,000,000/= including carrying out a due diligence on both the vendor and the property as well as negotiating the agreement for sale in respect of the property, handling closing and post-closing matters including advising on the subsequent applications to the relevant authorities on the change of user of the property
- Acted for a local company in the sale of its sole property via transfer of the company’s shares including drafting the Share Purchase Agreement, negotiating the Share Purchase Agreement with the Purchaser’s Advocates, obtaining Competition Authority’s approvals, drafting the Share Transfer Forms and procuring the Tax Compliance Certificate
- Acted for two sets of families in a land swap transaction including drafting the Land Exchange Instrument and advising on Stamp Duty implications
- Acted for various vendors and purchasers in various developments where the title documents to apartments are Deeds of Assignment and Original Share Certificates in the Management Company including drafting the Deeds of Assignment and registering the Share Certificates in favour of the respective purchasers
- Advising various developers, purchasers, lessor and lessees of commercial and residential properties in connection with acquisition of land, land control requirements in respect of agricultural properties, obtaining various development approvals including obtaining the necessary approvals from the relevant authorities, physical planning (zoning) requirements, sale or lease of commercial and residential units and advising clients on real estate taxes including stamp duty and capital gains tax
- Handling non contentious intellectual property matters and overseeing the registration of copyrights and trademarks
- Handling non contentious probate matters and preparation of wills
She is a Co-Author of the Kenyan Chapter of Construction Law & Practice, Second Edition (International Series) by Sweet & Maxwell.
Outside work, Joyce enjoys long runs and cycling.