Joyce is a practical and insightful advocate who navigates the firm’s clients through commercial law matters. She strives to be a trusted legal advisor to her clients and by utilizing her technical & research skills to guide clients through the different avenues available to help them reach their optimal business outcomes.
Joyce has extensive experience in all types of residential and commercial property transactions. She acts and advices a broad range of property investors and developers on all aspects of property management including property sale or purchase, due diligence exercises on the same, acquisitions, leasing (landlord & tenant law), sub-divisions, commercial developments and property finance.
She is also passionate about business formations, corporate restructuring, business licensing and the full range of Intellectual Property rights (patents, trademarks, designs, copyright, etc.). She advices her clients on which class of rights a specific product should be classified under so as to get the most effective and proper protection and how best to maximize their gains on the same. In addition, she is also well versed in immigration law as well as probate & succession law.
Joyce prides herself on developing strong and enjoyable relationships with her clients and providing them with timely and cost effective advice. Clients love her remarkable organization skills and thoroughness. Some of her notable matters include:
- Acting for various local companies in respect of restructuring their shareholding and management structure
- Acted for a foreign client in the registration of a Grant of Probate issued by The Supreme Court of British Columbia in the High Court of Kenya and subsequently vesting the suit property to the foreign client and drafting a short term Lease as well as negotiating the terms thereof with a tenant and his Advocates
- Acted for a local company in the purchase of a property worth Kshs.125,000,000/= including carrying out a due diligence on both the vendor and the property as well as negotiating the agreement for sale in respect of the property, handling closing and post-closing matters including advising on the subsequent applications to the relevant authorities on the change of user of the property
- Acted for a local company in the sale of its sole property via transfer of the company’s shares including drafting the Share Purchase Agreement, negotiating the Share Purchase Agreement with the Purchaser’s Advocates, obtaining Competition Authority’s approvals, drafting the Share Transfer Forms and procuring the Tax Compliance Certificate
- Acted for two sets of families in a land swap transaction including drafting the Land Exchange Instrument and advising on Stamp Duty implications
- Acted for various vendors and purchasers in various developments where the title documents to apartments are Deeds of Assignment and Original Share Certificates in the Management Company including drafting the Deeds of Assignment and registering the Share Certificates in favour of the respective purchasers
- Advising various developers, purchasers, lessor and lessees of commercial and residential properties in connection with acquisition of land, land control requirements in respect of agricultural properties, obtaining various development approvals including obtaining the necessary approvals from the relevant authorities, physical planning (zoning) requirements, sale or lease of commercial and residential units and advising clients on real estate taxes including stamp duty and capital gains tax
- Handling non contentious intellectual property matters and overseeing the registration of copyrights and trademarks
- Handling non contentious probate matters and preparation of wills
She is a Co-Author of the Kenyan Chapter of Construction Law & Practice, Second Edition (International Series) by Sweet & Maxwell.
Outside work, Joyce enjoys long runs and cycling.