Gideon is a strategic thinker and clear communicator who enjoys building relationships with his clients and getting to know their business. He is a strong advocate and is skilled at providing bespoke legal solutions to his clients’ problems. He has a diverse experience practicing in all areas of corporate and commercial law, including corporate finance and property law. He advises clients ranging from high net worth individuals to financial institutions, investment banks, multinationals and private equity funds on business transactions & advisory, mergers and acquisitions (including due diligence), IPO’s & other security offerings, private equity and venture capital investments/exits, joint ventures, strategic collaborations and corporate structuring &reorganisation. He is also involved in the drafting and negotiation of the related legal documentation.
He is highly regarded for the pragmatic advice to clients and, in particular, he advises on licencing requirements for entry firms and regulatory requirements for established firms in the telecommunications and technology industry. He supports his clients in contractual & online commerce issues, guides them in privacy user rights and data protection and works relentlessly to protect their investments by advising them on the protection of their Intellectual Property.
His holistic approach has successfully guided many clients through boardroom and partnership issues and complex commercial disputes earning him a reputation for “making things happen”. His clients recognize his responsiveness, on-point advice and commercial mind-set.
Some of the matters Gideon has handled include:
- Acting as counsel in connection with the acquisition of a four star luxury beach resort and spa in the coastal region of Kenya by a chain of Hotels and Resorts (which range from luxury to economy)
- Acting as legal counsel in the sale of the operating business of a steel fabricating company in Kenya through a structured share purchase of the company’s shares
- Acting as legal counsel in connection with the sale and purchase of the business and assets of a local chain of supermarkets with branches in various counties
- Acting as counsel and providing legal advice to a financial institution with regard to the acquisition of the business and assets of one of its debtors by an international conglomerate.
- Conducting due diligence and audit of the loan books (financial facilities advanced vis-à-vis the collateral/securities in place) of a local bank (Tier 3) in relation to a proposed acquisition of the business and assets of the said bank by another local bank (Tier 1).
- Acting for a Group Company in a corporate restructuring exercise that involved transfer of assets to the Group’s subsidiaries to rebase values of said assets for purposes of regulatory compliance as well as debt restructuring with its main Financiers.
- Acting for various Financial Institutions in advising, preparing, reviewing and perfection of various Transactional & Banking Securities and advising them on related legal and regulatory issues.
- Carrying out due diligence and legal/forensic and compliance audits of various corporate institutions as well as asset/loan books of financial institutions.
- Advising Clients (residential and commercial developers and lenders) on Real Estate Laws and Property Development on all aspects of real estate development with particular emphasis on the acquisition or sale of properties, due diligence and negotiating the requisite contracts; land use, planning, zoning and user restrictions, environmental law, due diligence and compliance matters involving properties throughout Kenya
Away from the office, Gideon is a sports enthusiast who enjoys the great outdoors and the company of a good book.